Part of the National Park Service, Fort Moultrie is one of the oldest still-standing forts along the Eastern Seaboard. The fort is a low-laying coastal structure bordering beaches on the southern tip of Sullivan's Island. It is the first one on Sullivan's Island constructed of palmetto logs and sand. Fort Moultrie began as a Revolutionary War defense before being transformed into a secondary Confederate stronghold during the Civil War.
Today Fort Moultrie has been restored to portray the major periods of its history. A visitor to the fort moves steadily backwards in time from the World War II Harbor Entrance Control Post to the site of the Palmetto-log fort of 1776.
Fort Moultrie is a series of fortifications on Sullivan's Island, South Carolina, built to protect the city of Charleston, South Carolina. The first fort, formerly named Fort Sullivan, built of palmetto logs, inspired the flag and nickname of South Carolina, as "The Palmetto State".
Fort Moultrie was rebuilt as part of the Second System of fortifications in 1808–09, under the direction of Army engineer Alexander Macomb.