- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Drayton Hall House & Museum

Drayton Hall House & Museum

Drayton Hall House & Museum

3380 Ashley River Road
CharlestonSC  29414
(843) 769-2600

Tours: Guided tour of house - 50 minutes, African-American History Program - 30 minutes

Drayton Hall is an 18th-century plantation comprised of 350 acres and is located on the Ashley River about 15 miles northwest of Charleston. It is an excellence example of Palladian architecture in North America and the only plantation house on the Ashley River to survive intact through both the Revolutionary and Civil wars.

Read more: Drayton Hall House & Museum

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Magnolia Plantation & Gardens

Magnolia Plantation & Gardens

Magnolia Plantation & Gardens

3550 Ashley River Road
CharlestonSC  29414
(843) 571-1266

Magnolia Plantation was founded by the Drayton family in 1676. It is the oldest public tourist site in the Lowcountry, and the oldest public gardens in America.

The manor house was burned during the Civil War. In the aftermath of the Civil War and postwar economic disruption, John Drayton opened the gardens to the public to earn money as a tourist attraction. In 1870, "Magnolia-on-the-Ashley" were the first private gardens opened to the public.

Read more: Magnolia Plantation & Gardens

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Middleton Place House & Museum

Middleton Place House & Museum

Middleton Place House & Museum

4300 Ashley River Road
CharlestonSC  29414
(843) 556-6020

Hours:
Open Daily: 9:00a - 5:00p

Middleton Place is America’s Oldest Landscaped Gardens. Explore 65 acres of Formal Landscaped Gardens. Centuries-old camellias bloom in the winter months and azaleas blaze on the hillside above the Rice Mill Pond in the spring. In summer, kalmia, magnolias, crepe myrtles and roses accent a landscape magnificent throughout the year.

Middleton Place is an 18th-century plantation that was built in several phases during the 18th and 19th centuries. The plantation was the primary residence of several generations of the Middleton family, many of whom played prominent roles in the colonial and antebellum history of South Carolina.

Read more: Middleton Place House & Museum

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Old Saint Andrews Parish Church

Old Saint Andrews Parish Church

Old Saint Andrews Parish Church

2604 Ashley River Road
CharlestonSC  29414
(843) 766-1541

Hours:
Monday - Thursday: 9:00a - 4:00p

Old St Andrews Parish Church was built in 1706 and is the oldest surviving church building in South Carolina. Old St Andrews Parish Church is also the oldest surviving structure used for worship south of Virginia. It is South Carolina’s only remaining colonial cruciform church.

Read more: Old Saint Andrews Parish Church