Marion Square Public Park
Charleston, SC 29403
Marion Square is a 10 acre rectangular plot of land that was conveyed to the colony of South Carolina in 1758. Marion Square was previously known as the Citadel Green. The Old Citadel, or South Carolina State Arsenal, currently sits on the north side of the square where a group of buildings known as the Tobacco Inspection once stood.
According to the lease agreement made with the City of Charleston, the central portion of the square is to be kept open forever as a parade ground for the Sumter Guards and the Washington Light Infantry.
Marion Square also contains a remnant from the 18th century fortifications of the city; and the Bandstand, designed by August Constantine and constructed in 1944. The Square is the home to many monuments, including a Holocaust memorial and a statue of John C. Calhoun atop a giant pillar. During the summer the square is also the home to a farmers market on Saturdays and various festivals such as the Food and Wine Festival and the renowned Spoleto Arts Festival.