Second Presbyterian Church
Charleston, SC 29403
In 1809 fifteen men began planning for the Second Presbyterian Church. The new church was built in 1811 at the cost of $100,00. The Second Presbyterian Church was built in the Jeffersonian style and is the fourth oldest church structure in the city.
The Classic Revival sanctuary is stucco brick with two tiers of windows, a square tower with an octagonal belfry, and a tetra Tuscan portico. Because of the size of the sanctuary the ministers had to strain their voices to be heard. Therefore, in 1833 the floor was raised three feet, the ceiling lowered sixteen feet, and the rear wall of the nave was moved to enlarge the vestibule. The north and south doors were closed and additional pews were added. The pews used today were installed 1849.
In 1862 the church bell was given to the Confederacy for use as cannon metal.