Cathedral of Saint Luke and Saint Paul
Charleston, SC 29403
Construction of the Cathedral began in 1810 and was originally known as St. Paul's Radcliffeboro. The style of architecture is typical of the period, the interior being almost devoid of ornamentation with the exception of the chancel. The chancel is ornamented with Corinthian pilasters have gilt capitals.
The building was in continuous use during the War Between the States, harboring congregations from churches nearer the strongholds of the Union forces. The church’s bell was dismantled and sent to Columbia to be melted down in support of the Confederate cause.
The interior appears much as it did in 1815, except adding stained-glass windows to the church In addition, the box pews were replaced in 1872 and the pulpit was moved from the middle aisle to its present location.
The building is known for its acoustical properties and is often sought by performing artists, particularly during the Spoleto Festival.