Old Marine Hospital, The
Charleston, SC 29401
Not open to the public
The Old Marine Hospital is one of only eight remaining from a group of around 30 marine hospitals built before the Civil War. The Old Marine Hospital construction started in 1831 and was completed in 1833. It was built for sick sailors and other transient persons.
The Old Marine Hospital was designed with subtle Gothic features that included pointed arches, windows and clustered columns. The porch railings were designed to resemble the tracery around Gothic stained glass window.
After the Civil War, the Episcopal Church used the building as a free school for black children. From 1895-1939 the structure served as the Jenkins Orphanage. In 1939 the Housing Authority of Charleston purchased the building for administrative offices, which are still used today.