German Friendly Society
Charleston, SC 29401
Not open to the public
The building that is now the German Friendly Society was constructed around 1829. It originally housed a Bible depository.
Founded by members of St. John's Lutheran Church in 1766, the German Friendly Society gave assistance to new immigrants and aid to orphans and widows. In 1942 the German Friendly Society purchased the building for its headquarters.
The building contains a collection of artifacts that depict more than 200 years of the Society's history, as well as portraits of past officers, the earliest of whom were distinguished Revolutionaries. The German Friendly Society is one of more than 1400 historically significant buildings within the Charleston Old and Historic District.