Citizens & Southern National Bank
Charleston, SC 29401
Not open to the public
The Citizens and Southern National Bank of South Carolina is the second oldest building constructed as a bank in the United States. The building was constructed in 1798 for the Bank of South Carolina. The two-story building is T-shaped, with a pedimented projecting center pavilion and refined architectural details. Keystone arches, window lintels, and a belt course are all executed in white marble.
In 1835 the building was purchased by the Charleston Library Society and around 1914 the Charleston Chamber of Commerce purchased the building. In 1966 the Citizens and Southern Bank purchased the building and returned it to its original use as a bank. Today the bank building is used as a private office.
The building is not open to the public.