Charleston, SC 29401
Charleston's City Hall building was constructed between 1800 and 1804 in the Adamesque style. In 1800 the City Council conveyed this parcel to the Federal government for the purpose of erecting "an elegant building" that would serve as a branch of The First Bank of the United States. Charleston's branch was one of eight in the country, serving as the Office of Discount and Deposit.
City Hall has a semi-circular projection on the north side and round basement windows. The white marble trim is believed to have originated in Italy before it was cut in Philadelphia. The red brick was covered in stucco in 1882. In 1818 the property was conveyed back to the City of Charleston and became City Hall.