French Protestant (Huguenot) Church
Charleston, SC 29401
Hours: Open to the public.
Call 843-722-4385 for further information.
The French Huguenot Church was the first Gothic Revival building constructed in Charleston and was completed in 1845. The stucco over brick Huguenot church is ornamented with windows, buttresses, and decorative details typical of the Gothic Revival. The use of iron for many of these decorative details was unusual. Today the French Huguenot Church remains unaltered and the glass windows are original.The first church of this denomination was built in 1687 but was later destroyed. A second church was built in 1800. Services were timed with the tides to accommodate those arriving by boat from the nearby plantations. In 1823, the church was closed due to declining membership.
In 1844 the Huguenot descendants revived the congregation and the current church was built. During most of the 20th century the church was used for periodic services. Today's active congregation, reestablished in 1983, is the only French Calvinist congregation in the United States.